There has been an abundant text on benefits of handmade soap and harms of commercial soaps.The handmade soaps community claims that these are superior over commercial soaps because of benefits on skin. But is there really a difference. And if the commercial soaps are so harmful then why are they available easily on all the shop shelves. Although, the two categories are judged based on skin safety and the feel, but the real difference is due to kind of “soap base” used.
Here, we evaluate Handmade Soap and Commercial Soaps based on Organic and Inorganic ingredients ratio. So, simple definition of organic handmade soaps is that they have higher ratio of organic (natural or herbal) ingredients, over inorganic (chemical or synthetic) ingredients.
Organic or naturally occurring ingredients mainly include: coconut oil, palm oil, castor oil, olive oil, almond oil, safflower oil, oat protein, glycerin, goat’s milk, and water. Other than goat’s milk, aloe vera, turmeric, clay, shea butter, and honey etc are also used as bases.
On the other hand, the inorganic or chemical or synthetically made ingredients mainly include: sodium hydroxide, sorbitol, propylene glycol, sorbitan oleate, and titanium dioxide.
Handmade soaps have organic bases and ratio of Organic ingredients are much higher. These contain no preservatives and hence have short shelf life. If you have noticed the color change in your handmade soap, after sometime.
Commercial soaps have only 100% inorganic bases
- No glycerin. It gives cost advantage. And that’s why these bars cost so less.
- Lots of preservatives and hardening agents to increase the shelf life. The soap bar looks same even after 3 years.
- Harsh detergents. It is for stain removals. People working in garages, factories, transportation, painters, and other mechanical works benefit a lot, as these soap bars are cheap and removes all stains of grease and paint easily from hands and skin.
- Hence, because of synthetic base, the mass production of the commercial soap bars is possible and comes very economical, almost one tenth the cost of the handmade soap bar.
Handmade Soaps have upto 70% organic bases
- Plant based oils. It makes it SLS free or Chemical free and hence balances the skin pH, i.e. it treats your skin gently and exfoliates dead skin along with polishing. Consequently, this gives you smooth and radiant skin.
- Contains glycerin. Even though this increases the cost of bar, but also preserves the natural moisture of skin.
- No preservatives and hardening agents. Hence gentle on skin. Mass production is not possible. Has to be handcrafted with utmost care and delication. Another reason, why all handmade soap bars weigh different.
- Hence, no handmade soap base can be 100% organic, otherwise it will not be able to produce lather and will not have cleansing benefits. But the ratio of organic part decides the superior health benefits and justify the higher cost.
Importance of Scented Handmade Soap
Therefore, the Perfumed organic soap gives dual benefit of body cleansing with chemical free soap quality and mind relaxation. It helps you in staying naturally radiant and fragrant all day long. On regular bathing with scented handmade soap for 7-10 days, you do not have to apply moisturiser or deodorants anymore.
The choice of handmade soap bars is obvious for all the people, working in comfort of air conditioned offices and having taste for life. Here, its not about removing stains from skin and body but to pamper oneself to enhance the personality and thoughts with the softness and delicacy of handmade soap bars.Natural soaps are unique and special and make you feel unique and special.